Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Food Art

The 5th graders loved creating their "fake cakes"! They used a template that I downloaded from the internet (just google cake slice template to find one you like). The first day of this project was spent with them cutting out the template and taping them together to form the slice form. Looking back, it would have been a good idea to cover the entire template with some good, thick masking tape to keep the cardstock from collapsing under the weight of the paper mache. The next class used ClayCrete to create the cake slice. They put them on styrofoam plates to let them dry. The next week, they finished them up by painting. They were thrilled, for the most part! There are a few that always hate their work, but most of the kids were very supportive of them and encouraged them with kind words. The cupcakes were made by the 4th graders using Model Magic by Crayola. I find that it is much cheaper to buy the large containers and give them a hunk at a time instead of an entire small package. I like to divide it into balls before class, that way it is kind of "measured out." Make sure that you leave the Model Magic in a sealed plastic bag with the air pushed out- or else it starts to dry out. I demonstrated how to make the cupcake, and the icing, and then let them go to it. Of course, once one kid makes a cherry on top, they all need one! I can honestly say I have never had a cherry on top of a cupcake, but who am I to judge? I thought they turned out super cute, don't you? The final project in our Wayned Theibaud unit was the cake/3D shape lesson. We talked about all kinds of 3D shapes first, reviewed how to draw them, and they began with the pastels. I used the Crayola oil pastels this time, because it seems like the thickness of them helps them last a bit longer. This is a fun, one day lesson most of the time. I have a few who didn't finish, but they are the ones who usually take longer on everything. I hope you enjoyed their artwork! Leave me a comment if you have any questions, and I'd be glad to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm BACK!!!! I needed a place to put my new HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT'S work, so here I am. Things got pretty overwhelming a few years ago...