Friday, February 20, 2015

Behavior in the Art Room

This has been pretty useful in the art room for behavior. My kids really have to be told quite often to check the noise level (not a surprise, is it?) and work more quietly. When I flip the colors on board to the next color, sighs and gasps ensue. I have a huge magnet clip that holds the pallets on the board. Of course, when they come in, it should be blue. Believe me, if it isn't, they let me know. "How'd we already get to GREEN?" I usually give a warning, then move the color. I even give them the opportunity to get moved back if they redeem themselves before the end of class. This only works if the classroom teacher works with you- so keep that in mind. When they pick them up, I can say, "Your class was awesome and on BLUE today!" or, "Unfortunately, Mrs. X, I had to move them all the way to RED." I used to keep up with it on a tally chart, but that has gone by the wayside. My new plan is to keep up with it by printing out a sheet and marking the color as they leave the room. The reward is that they get to do a special activity, such as using materials I don't have enough of for an entire grade level, or they can choose from a few predetermined activities. If you try it out, let me know how it works! I decided to create a printable version of this for you to try- check it out at https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Art-Behavior-Tag-Charts-1720287

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm BACK!!!! I needed a place to put my new HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT'S work, so here I am. Things got pretty overwhelming a few years ago...