Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lovie Stuffies!!!

Oh my gosh, these turned out so great! I think this is one of the most loved projects ever. The 4th grade made these stuffies all by themselves. They first made the pattern by doing half of the creature on a folded piece of paper, and then cut it out. We discussed symmetry, and how this was how to make them match. They then chose the felt they wanted, and traced the pattern onto the folded felt piece. They then cut out the creature. This wasn't easy-you really need sharp scissors to do this, and some of mine lack something to be desired. Some of the kids chose buttons for eyes, and started by sewing the buttons onto one side. Then the students went to work sewing the 2 pieces together. I showed them a few basic stitches, and the blanket stitch. Most of them were just happy to get them to stick together! The students then used batting to stuff them. Some added features with Sharpies, and some used stick on felt or foam. I left some things out for them to choose from and they really got creative. Here are a few to admire...
Now the 5th graders are begging to do this. I thought they were "too big" for this sort of thing, but boy, was I wrong. When I asked them if they wanted to make them I had an overwhelming response of "YES! Can we Please?!?!?" How could I say no?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm BACK!!!! I needed a place to put my new HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT'S work, so here I am. Things got pretty overwhelming a few years ago...